Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hamilton Creek Thursday Ride


Jimmy and I rode Hamilton Creek East this evening. We did the whole loop and then went back and rode the short, top loop again. All told, somewhere just over 6 miles. It was Jimmy's first time on the trail, and his assessment was "Long Hunter Advanced." Both trails do share a lot of rocky conditions that add that extra bit of jolt. I heard one rider complaining about the trail beating her up just before she headed into the woods. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

With a riding companion, I felt comfortable enough to tackle more obstacles, and I managed to clear a few I hadn't before. I also scouted several new lines through some rocky sections. Baby steps and slow progress.

When we got back to the parking lot the first time, it looked like a mountain bike race had broken out since SORBA (Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association) holds a group ride there every Thursday evening. Wish I'd snapped a pic or two of all the bikers.

Charted the East trail with the Garmin using different settings, and I came up with a 4.5 mile ride again. The match with the last Garmin track was reassuring. With the iPhone reporting such a low number before, I'm assuming the difference had to do with canopy interference. One of the selling points of the Garmin 60CSx is its ability to receive signal even under pretty good cover. Sounds like I'll just be using the Garmin for mountain bike tracking from here out.

Settings this time were to sample distance intervals every .01 mile (or roughly every 50 feet). One thing I notice is that the trail below looks smoother than the one recorded with the "Auto" setting.

Hamilton Creek - Thursday Ride at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: Geotagging Community

No comments: