Friday, August 14, 2009

Long Hunter Bonk


This evening, I went over to ride Long Hunter with Jimmy. I started the nearly 3.5 mile trail aggressively and really went after the rocky, root-filled terrain. What I learned is that the trail rides much easier this way. Speed and attack help with finding some flow over the bumps. What I also learned, however, is that I need considerable energy to ride this style. I was already tired from running earlier in the day, and I began to feel the beginnings of a bonk coming on. About halfway through, I let Jimmy take lead and just rode it out a little slower.

Long Hunter Trail at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: Travel Community

We started another loop after a short breather. Despite downing a mango Cliff Shot Energy Gel (that tasted like mango gone terribly, terribly wrong), I still didn't feel up-to-speed, so I just rode the shorter 1.5 mile return loop. Close to 5 miles total for me.

Long Hunter Return Loop at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: Share GPS Tracks

Just for kicks and giggles, here are the two tracks overlaid. When you zoom in on the return loop, it appears the Garmin is doing a pretty consistent job of recording tracks. Today, I used the same settings as yesterday: distance sampling every .01 mile.

Long Hunter Combined at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: Share and Plan your Trips

No comments: